COVID-19 Update: 15/05/2020 @ 5:30pm
In late March 2020, the basketball landscape significantly changed. Since then Southern Districts have received a tremendous amount of support from our community and for this, we say thank you.
Over the last two weeks we have received some key documents from various levels of government and from Basketball Australia and Basketball Queensland. These documents will form the “Southern Districts COVID-19 Return to Sport Guidelines”. This document will clearly set out the steps we will take to guarantee a safe return to basketball. The below looks to answer some questions you may have about what we have been focused on over the last month and how we intent to reactivate basketball at Southern Districts.
1. Do you know when we will reopen?
As per the announcements made last week we will not be opening until at least Stage 2 of the Queensland Governments Road-map.
When we reopen it will be on a restricted basis with the return of activity to be staggered. This will guarantee that there is a safe and structured return to basketball.
2. How can I book a court once you reopen?
We have transitioned to an online court booking system. When we reopen all casual shooting will need to be booked and paid for prior to arriving at the facility. This allows us to;
- Collect participant information – this will allow us to contact trace if required.
- Collect contactless payment.
Under the new regulations it is likely that causal shooting and other activity will be time capped. As we progress from Level 2 to Level 3 restrictions will be relaxed.
3. Why isn’t Southern Districts running outdoor activities during Stage 1?
We have been expressly informed that this is not allowed to happen under Stage One. All outdoor organised activity is banned. As a result, Southern Districts has not authorised any Association based activity. Any activity is subject to significant fines, also participants would also not have insurance covered. Furthermore, if this activity was to occur, it would jeopardise the delivery of basketball across the state.
4. What hygiene processes are being put in place?
Southern Districts Basketball Association is monitoring this situation closely and we are continuing to follow all the relevant advice from government agencies and global health organisations.
- Hygiene Stations – Each court will have its own fixed hygiene station. This station will include a hand sanitiser and signage education patrons on hygiene practices. We will have two more stations fixed at the entry / exit of the building and one in the administration office.
- Sanitation – The courts will be scrubbed daily. Amenities will continue to be cleaned daily. High touch areas will be sanitised more regularly (particularly areas in the canteen and score benches). We will also be accepting Eftpos (contactless) and online payments only.
5. How are staff being cared for?
Staff have recommenced their respective roles over the last few weeks. We have been making use of government assistance programs (JobKeeper) to support all current roles. All staff have been going through additional training around health and safety and hygiene standards.
It is important to note that the staff are extremely excited about the part we get to play in supporting Queenslanders as they look to find their new normal.
6. Have you been in contact with Local Councillors / State and Federal Members?
Yes – we have been providing information to our elected Councillors and State and Federal Members. We think it is important that these officials have confidence in our Return to Sport Guidelines.
We also think it is important that all levels of government are aware of the important role sport plays as we return to the new normal post COVID-19.
7. What is happening around the facility?
We have used some of the downtime to commence some facility maintenance and development projects. These include;
- Replacing the emergency exit doors,
- Replacing all emergency lighting,
- Installing a new servery window at the entrance (this is part of a bigger project to relocate the offices).
- Installation of new cameras.
- Various painting in social spaces.
- Other minor maintenance projects.
How do I keep up to date with future announcement?
Visit our website: www.sdbal.com.au
Contact us direct: https://sdbal.com.au/about-us/
We missed having you at the courts and cant wait to welcome you back in due course.
Southern Districts Basketball Association