The SDBAL are planning some exciting changes to the structure of the Senior Domestic Competitions from 2019.
Based on the feedback from the recent survey sent out to all current senior domestic teams, the following changes are going to take place from 2019.
- There will be just 2 seasons per year. 84% of responses from the survey preferred to move from the 2 shorter & 1 longer season to 2 longer seasons. Both seasons will have finals & will be around 20-21 Rounds depending on public holidays.
- There will be a Summer Season that runs from end of January through to early June (finals will be played mid June) & a Winter season that will run from early July through to end of Nov (finals to be played in early/mid Dec). 76% of the responses from the survey were in favour of the calendar year model.
- The Finals series in both seasons will remain Top 4 across 2 weeks. Week 1 being Semi Finals (1 v 4 & 2 v 3) & Week 2 being the Grand Finals. 45% of the responses in the survey were in favour of this format.
- A Grade Men’s on both a Monday Night & a Thursday Night currently will move to 4 x 10 minute quarters with a running clock. The clock will stop on all whistles in the last minute of the 2nd quarter & the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter. 47% of responses from the survey were in favour of this option.
- For 2019, where possible we will keep all senior domestic games here at the Rowland Cowan Stadium. This may mean as competitions grow there will be later games like 9.20pm on some nights. But 64% of responses were not in favour of using a secondary venue to ease game start times.
- There will be a grading period introduced at the start of each season. The 1st four (4) rounds of the season will be set aside for grading. If the SDBAL notes lopsided result across the 4 weeks of grading, they will recommend teams move up a grade or maybe move into a lower grade depending on those results. In some cases this may mean a change of night to ensure your team is playing in the appropriate division. 60% of responses in the survey were in favour of a grading period & 92% of responses were happy with it being a 4 week grading period.
Further details about these changes & specific dates will be made available prior to team nominations opening. Team Nominations for the 2019 Senior Domestic Summer Season will open online on Monday 3rd December at www.sdbal.com.au